If an individual needs to lodge tax returns under a new name that is not current on Australian Tax Office records, the details will need to be updated before your tax return can be lodged. The ATO has provided the below information in order to change your name as an Individual or Sole Trader.

PLEASE NOTE: You can no longer change your name via the front page of the tax return. If you do not follow the information below your tax return will be delayed by the ATO.

By telephone or online:

The quickest way to update your name with the ATO is by using the online services for individuals. All you need is a MyGov account linked to the ATO.Alternatively, you can contact the ATO via telephone.  

if calling from within Australia Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday, and choose the 'Personal Tax Enquiries' option.

Whether you make the changes online or by phone you need to make sure you have the correct identity documents with you (listed below). 

Identity documents that can be verified are:

  • Australian birth certificate (full certificate, not an extract)
  • Australian marriage certificate
  • Australian change of name certificate

Please Note: The ATO will verify the identity document details with the agencies who issue them.